The Museum of Energy in Istanbul, Turkey is located in the Ottoman Empire’s first operating Power Plant with a collection of steam turbines, electrical generators and other equipment in their original conditions. The Silahtarağa Power Station was in use from 1913 to 1983.
On a self-guided tour, one goes down a modern glass escalator and takes in all the machinery of the huge turbine hall. Visitors are encouraged to interact by pushing buttons and working levers in the preserved control room. This enormous equipment was used to generate only a few dozen megawatts.